Saturday, April 9, 2016

The CSI-Willamette Valley Chapter Wants You!

 
The following is a letter written by Marina Wrensch, CSI, ASLA, our 2015-2016 Construction Specifications Institute - Willamette Valley Chapter president. The letter is her plea to all CSI-WVC members to step up to the plate and become a chapter board member, assume the role of an industry leader, and make a difference in the coming 2016-2017 chapter year. I encourage you to seriously consider her invitation. I agree with everything Marina says: Volunteering for CSI is rewarding, fun, and a great way to advance your career. Read on:

Dear members of the Willamette Valley Chapter of CSI:

I am writing to you today with a request that should be considered by all of us. The chapter year comes to an end on June 30. I enjoyed very much being your 2015-2016 president and I want to thank my fellow board members Jim Chaney (president-elect), Jim Christian (treasurer), and Alley Mayer (secretary) for being active and there when we needed them. The time to elect a new board is nearly here. Unfortunately, with the exception of me as the incoming past-president, we will need to fill all of the other chapter board positions (president-elect, treasurer, secretary, and two directors at-large).

I am calling on all of you!!! We need your participation!!!

There is no chapter without leadership. The economy is picking up and everybody is busy. We noticed that during our C3 conference. Tell me about being busy: I’m the full-time working mom of a one year-old. Like you, I know busy too, but this chapter is very important to me. I have made many professional connections during my early years here and I gained so much confidence about my capabilities. Please don’t see volunteering in our/your chapter as a chore. See it as an opportunity. That is what I did, and I don’t regret it.

If you are wondering if you are fit to fill any of the board positions, refer to Chapter IV of theCSI-Willamette Valley Chapter Guide, which explains every position’s role. The short answer is YES YOU ARE! Don’t let the descriptions convince you it will take a lot of time; it doesn’t have to. Talk to a member who has been on the board, and find out what it really is all about.

Please consider participating—like I said we need your help—even if you’ve already served once or twice before on the board. Our chapter depends on your expertise. And if a board position is a bit too intimidating at this point, consider participating on a chapter committee. We need help there as well. Please contact me at marina@cameronmccarthy.com or 541-485-7385, with any questions or comments. We may be giving you a call in the meantime to chat personally with you.

Thank you everyone!!!

Marina Wrensch, ASLA, LEED AP BD+C, CSI
Landscape Architect, CSI Chapter President

No comments: