- Preserving important community resources for future generations
- Promoting livability in the greater Eugene community
- Facilitating wise public and private investments
- Representing the city on behalf of all residents of the community
- Learning and thinking critically about a broad range of land use planning issues
- Connecting with different communities and considering the needs of all stakeholders
- Collaborating and working toward consensus
- Guiding and implementing land use policy and regulations, and related legal obligations
Planning Commission meetings are typically held during the day on Monday, with occasional Tuesday evening meetings.(2) If you are interested in learning more about being a planning commissioner, call John Lawless at 687-1010, or the City of Eugene’s planning director, Lisa Gardner, at 682-5208. Information about the commission may be found online at the City’s website. The City is accepting applications through September 18, 2009.
(1) There are nine positions on the Planning Commission; seven at large citizen positions and two ex officio positions. The Oregon Revised Statutes require that no more than two commissioners can be engaged in the same occupation, business, trade, or profession, including the buying and selling or developing of real estate for a profit. The two ex-officio members are staff who have content area knowledge. The Council appoints the seven at large members; the City Manager appoints the two ex-officio members.
(2) The Planning Commission meets 3-5 times each month.