Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blog Action Day 2009


Thursday, October 15, 2009 is Blog Action Day 2009. I'm late to the game on this but I registered to participate nonetheless. Blog Action Day is an annual event that unites the world's bloggers in posting about the same issue on the same day. The aim is to raise awareness and trigger a global discussion. Past themes for Blog Action Day were the Environment in 2007 and Poverty in 2008. This year's issue is Climate Change.

The Blog Action Day 2009 website explains why climate change was selected as this year's theme:

Climate change affects us all and it threatens more than the environment. It threatens to cause famine, flooding, war, and millions of refugees. Given the urgency of the issue of climate change and the upcoming international climate negotiations in Copenhagen this December, we think the blogosphere has the unique opportunity to mobilize millions of people around expressing support for finding a sustainable solution to the climate crisis.

For the organizers at Change.org, the purpose of Blog Action Day is to create a discussion. They have asked bloggers to take a single day out of their schedule and focus it on the subject of Climate Change. By doing so on the same day, the blogging community effectively changes the conversation on the web and focuses audiences around the globe on that issue.

For my part, I'm drawing attention to this social change event and highlighting my past posts on the subject of global warming and climate change. By doing this, folks that have not previously read what I had to say on the topic can conveniently find my relevant posts. I wish I had time to write more on this important subject but it just isn't available to me at the moment.

Blog Action Day is an opportunity to witness the power of participatory journalism marshaled toward a common cause. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

No comments: