Saturday, August 16, 2014

Help me make bail - I'm an MDA Jailbird!


This post isn’t about architecture at all but it is very important. Believe it or not, I'm going to jail (!) and I need your help.

While it's not a real jail, it's even more important as I'm raising bail to help children and adults with muscle disease in my community who are supported by the vital work of the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA). I might not be able to rely on good behavior to get out so that's why I need your help. I need you to donate to my bail! Just click on the link below to make a secure donation. It's easy to make your tax deductible donation on MDA's secure site:


The Muscular Dystrophy Association is the world’s leading nonprofit health agency dedicated to finding treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and other neuromuscular diseases. The MDA does so by funding worldwide research, by providing comprehensive health care services and support to MDA families nationwide, and by rallying communities to fight back through advocacy, fundraising, and local engagement. It’s special work powered by special people who give generously.

Prior to agreeing to participate as one of 2014 Eugene/Springfield MDA Lock-Up jailbirds, I knew surprisingly little about muscular dystrophy. I didn’t know it is actually a group of muscle diseases that weaken the musculoskeletal system and hamper locomotion. Muscular dystrophies are characterized by progressive skeletal muscle weakness, defects in muscle proteins, and the death of muscle cells and tissue. 

The MDA is pursuing the full spectrum of research approaches toward combating neuromuscular diseases, from fundamental discoveries of the causes of disease to clinical trials of potential treatments. MDA also helps spread this scientific knowledge and train the next generation of scientific leaders by funding national and international research conferences, clinical research training grants and career development grants.

By going "behind bars" at the 2014 Eugene/Springfield Lock-Up on August 28, I’m doing my small part to help in the fight against muscle disease. I'll be joining other community leaders then to raise critical funds for the MDA, and I need your help to reach my bail!

My goal is actually to raise my bail before they throw me in the slammer, so make your secure, online donation today. All funds raised by the MDA Lock-Up assist the MDA in providing lifesaving research, a nationwide network of medical clinics, and accessible summer camp experiences to individuals and families affected by neuromuscular diseases.


Visit my fundraising page. My personal goal is to raise $2,400. Your contribution might be the key that unlocks the next breakthrough in the battle against muscular dystrophy. I know that together we can “make a muscle” and make a difference in the fight against muscle disease. Most importantly, your tax-deductible donation will help the many kids and adults who live with muscular dystrophy right here in Eugene and Springfield.

To all of you who help me help the MDA, thank you! 

No comments: