Sunday, December 2, 2018

Getting my Hygge On



I learned a new word this past week—hygge—which is the Danish term for coziness and comfortable conviviality. Apparently, an appreciation for the hygge things in life and applying a stylish flair to the pursuit of everyday happiness is characteristically Danish. Many here in the U.S. would do well to likewise learn how to recognize warmth and comfort in simple things and activities. Living in and acknowledging the moment is something too few of us do well. Those who have taken notice are promoting hygge as a lifestyle trend.

The fact I hadn’t heard of hygge until just now isn’t particularly surprising: Most fads are past their “best by” date by the time I discover them. Case in point: The New York Times pronounced 2016 as “The Year of Hygge,” so here I am a full two years behind the curve. How does this happen? Numerous books, blogs, magazines, TV networks, and more have all extolled the virtues of hygge style, without my notice(1).  
While the popularity of the concept in this country may be fleeting as fashion-mavens look for the next craze, hygge has long been engrained in the Danish way of life and isn’t likely to ever disappear. Hygge places a high value on the sharing of life together, on rituals, and humility. Nordic cultures undoubtedly cultivated hygge because their cold and dark winters brought people close together, so shared experiences were necessarily a part of their lives. The fact the citizens of Denmark are said to be the happiest in the world is in part because hygge is central to their sense of well-being. 

The places we live, work, and play in can foster hygge, which is why the concept intrigues the architect in me. Is there a reason why any of our architecture shouldn’t be hyggelig? Why shouldn’t we strive to design places that are unapologetically pleasant and welcoming, places that make people feel sheltered, safe, and content? It’s human nature to seek comfort and protection, the togetherness of family and the company of good friends. We like snuggling up and getting cozy because it makes us feel good. Hyggelig buildings and places, which I imagine most everyone would instinctively recognize, are ones essentially attuned to human nature. 

The older I get, the more I am learning to appreciate the importance of happiness, living in the moment, and being at peace with my world even as the greater world around all of us becomes increasingly uncomfortable. Those who know me do know how much of a struggle it is for me to slow down and simply relax. I would be well-served to get my hygge on. 

If I can make hygge a part of my life, I will have metaphorically built myself a warm and cozy shelter because I will have learned to enjoy the present more simply and slowly. If I approach design with hygge in mind, I will contribute to architecture that equally helps others be centered, at-home, and comfortable in their surroundings.

(1)  Perhaps it’s because I’ve never been a trend-chaser. No one has ever accused me of being hip, stylish, or fashionable. 
   

No comments: