Sunday, March 10, 2019

Masonry Design: An Architect’s Perspective


Yet another short blog post: Perhaps I should attribute its brevity to the switchover to Daylight Savings Timeafter all, we all lost an hour by “springing forward” this weekend. The truth is I needed to dedicate much of my time to preparing a presentation I’m going to give to the students of Oregon State University’s CE 482/582 Masonry Design class in Corvallis this coming Thursday, March 14.

Harold Friberg, Executive Director of the Masonry & Ceramic Tile Institute of Oregon asked me if I would like to speak to the class, primarily about the relationship between architects and structural engineers. I previously served as a juror for MCTIO’s 2011 Hammurabi Awards, which honors innovative and unique building projects that feature the prominent use of masonry. Harold connected me with Nathan Wallace, S.E., P.E., instructor for the CE 482/582 Masonry Design course, which is sponsored in part by MCTIO.

Nathan suggested describing the project delivery process and the roles the architect and the structural engineer play in the development of the design for a new building, in particular considerations that influence decisions to utilize particular structural systems over others. I’m likely to specifically address when, in my opinion, masonry is the right solution.

I’m flattered Harold asked me to speak on behalf of architects to an impressionable group of future structural engineers. I hope I’m equal to the task.

No comments: