Sunday, May 26, 2024

All Things Must Pass


It’s time to make it official. I just posted the following notice on my LinkedIn profile:
 
**Retirement Announcement**
 
Dear colleagues, clients, and friends,
 
After 36 endlessly rewarding years at Robertson/Sherwood/Architects pc, I am excited to announce my retirement from active practice, effective Friday, May 31. I am filled with gratitude for the incredible opportunities I’ve had with RSA and the truly meaningful work I have been a part of.
 
I cannot express enough how much I will miss my colleagues at RSA. It was my good fortune and privilege to work with all of you. I am especially thankful to Jim Robertson and Carl Sherwood for their sage tutelage, guidance, and most importantly, their friendship.
 
I am confident the future of Robertson/Sherwood/Architects is bright. The firm is in good hands with Scott Stolarczyk, Lana Sadler, and Becky Thomas, who are sure to extend the enviable legacy set by Jim and Carl.
 
I would be remiss if I failed to extend my heartfelt thanks to everyone I have enjoyed the pleasure to work with or for throughout my career. Collaborating with you has meant the world to me.
 
Please feel free to stay in touch. You can reach me here on LinkedIn, where I intend to remain engaged with the passions I developed throughout the course of my career. Thank you for being part of my professional journey. I look forward to what the future holds and wish you all continued success.
 
Warm regards,
 
Randy
 
I talked at some length about my apprehension and anticipation for what retirement will bring me in my December 31 entry—there is no need here to expand on what I said then. Because my professional licensure does not expire until the end of this year, I do have time to consider what to rename SW Oregon Architect. For now, I will stay the course and continue to write along familiar lines, though I expect to eventually shift and refocus.
 
Tomorrow is never promised, but retirement is a promise I am keeping for myself. My life as an architect may be coming to an end, but this does not mean I will not continue to seek that which provides it with meaning—I will. All things must pass, and my time to move on has come.

3 comments:

MR. RANDOM said...

Congratulations, Randy!

Bruce B. said...

Enjoy this next stage in your life Randy. I'm glad I was there at the very beginning and often think back fondly on those BCIT days and the comradery we all shared.

Joseph Kerns said...

Well done, Randy. Extremely well done. I know you will enjoy the next chapter of your life.