Sunday, July 14, 2024

The Dude Abides

Jeff Bridges enjoying a White Russian as Jeffrey Lebowski ("The Dude") in the movie The Big Lebowski. 

Having crossed into retirement after more than four decades as an architect, I suppose it’s natural to question my sense of identity and self-worth. Consciously or not, I always hitched both to my career. Who am I without the structure and trajectory of my professional life? Do I have or need a new passion to drive me? My immediate thought is the absence of drive or purpose can be a goal itself. Should the next version of me accept going with the flow and finding peace in simply being? The prospect of living authentically as one can while valuing a calm and unperturbed existence is certainly appealing.
 
Half-seriously, perhaps this is why I am drawn to the wisdom of "the Dude," the character famously portrayed by Jeff Bridges in the 1998 Coen Brothers comedic film The Big Lebowski. The Dude is the embodiment of a laid-back attitude and a philosophy of resilience, acceptance, and living in the moment. Many consider The Big Lebowski a cinematic classic with good reason, garnering it not only a cult-like following, but also spawning its own quasi-religion (The Church of the Latter-Day Dude). The movie’s blend of memorable characters and themes of identity, existentialism, and the absurdity of life is at once thoroughly humorous and thoughtful.
 
The Dude’s ethos of “taking it easy” isn’t about laziness or indifference; rather, it is an invitation to savor the present moment. I am trying to fully embrace this philosophy, as I believe it epitomizes what a healthy version of retirement can be.
 
So far, being retired has meant stepping away from the responsibilities and routines that defined much of my life. I now have time to explore new interests and enjoy simple pleasures that were often overshadowed by work. It's my opportunity to adopt a slower, more relaxed pace. It’s about finding joy in everyday moments—whether a quiet morning coffee, a walk in nature, or simply being present. There's a lot to be said for appreciating simpler things and letting go of unnecessary complications.
 
Life has its ups and downs, and the past few years have shown us how unpredictable things can be. By welcoming a mindset of calm acceptance, I expect to better navigate turbulent times with grace and resilience. Whether dealing with the unexpected or adjusting to a slower pace, taking it easy and staying flexible will be key. Throughout The Big Lebowski, the Dude took it easy, even when things got a bit out of hand. It's a valuable lesson in not letting life's bumps and bruises steal your peace. As the Stranger (played by Sam Elliott in the film) might say, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, the bear eats you. It will all be about how I choose to roll with it.
 
Let’s carry this theme further: Retirement, like the Dude’s rug, ties the room together. I have never been extravagant. I am content with living modestly. My “rug” is a quest for normalcy and comfort, and a sense of order in my unassuming life. Much as the rug provided the Dude structure in his otherwise unstructured existence, I hope to find some order by decluttering and simplifying; nevertheless, this process will not be at the expense of losing what I’m familiar and comfortable with.
 
This new chapter is especially about spending quality time with loved ones, my wife being first and foremost. Together, we look forward to creating new memories, exploring unfamiliar places, and enjoying simple pleasures. Whether traveling, gardening, or just having a quiet evening at home, there will be joy in sharing these experiences. Like the Dude’s rug, our partnership has been a constant through the years, and now we have the chance to enjoy life’s simple pleasures together more fully.
 
I acknowledge aspiring to emulate the "Dude" may not be easy. Shedding the layers of identity built over a lifetime as an architect will take time. Ultimately, it's not about achieving specific goals, even if pursuing "Dudeism" is one of them. Retirement is not a destination to reach but a path to walk, with each step taken in the spirit of the Dude's easygoing nature. In the end, it’s all about living in harmony with oneself and the world. It's about accepting life’s ebb and flow with grace, finding contentment in simplicity, and staying true to oneself. Retirement is my new beginning, a chance to live with a grateful heart and a stress-free vibe.
 
As an architect, I contributed toward the meticulous crafting of spaces for others; it’s now time for me to design the next phase of my life. I’m embracing this task with the calm and collected spirit of the Dude. The Dude abides—and so will I (or at least I'll give it my best shot).
 
How do you find peace and simplicity in your life? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

No comments: